3.11.2012

You think you know Me well (But you don't know Me)

1Now when the king was settled in his house, and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies around him, 2the king said to the prophet Nathan, "See now, I am living in a house of cedar, but the ark of God stays in a tent." 3Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that you have in mind; for the LORD is with you."


4But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan:

5Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the LORD: Are you the one to build me a house to live in? 6I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent and a tabernacle. 7Wherever I have moved about among all the people of Israel, did I ever speak a word with any of the tribal leaders of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, "Why have you not built me a house of cedar?"

(2 Samuel 7:1-7)


39In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a Judean town in the hill country, 40where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit 42and exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. 43And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me?
(Luke 1:39-43)



What an interesting juxtaposition of readings.

God not wanting a Temple to hold Him in.
Instead, God resides in the flesh of a young girl.


God not wanting to dwell in a house of cedar and gold.
Instead, God reveals Himself in a barn.


God not wanting to be in the midst of mindless sacrifices.
Instead, God is born in the midst of living animals.


God refuses to be in a house built by those in power.
Instead, God is worshipped by lowly shepherds


A God who will never say “Long live the king!”
Instead a God who wants all to have abundant life.

Amen.